Monday, February 24, 2014

Is Footwear Becoming Ugly?

With Birkenstocks and Jesus sandals around us, is fashion going in a new direction - the ugly direction?
Let's go back to the beginning.
Summer 2012.
This is when I started seeing the infamous Birkenstock sandal come out again. I believe it was introduced to me again by Ashley Olsen. Walking around New York with the comfort sandal and mixing with their infamous label, The Row. 
http://www.fabsugar.com
www.saksfifthavenue.com
Now Birkenstocks started many years ago with my friends and me going out to get the clog style. They were worn with more of a comfort/trendy-in-the-7th-grade kind of look. 
Now with the brand being resurrected in the industry, it's even had designers going after similar constructions with a twist. 
Givenchy had the Arizona style made with a flower camouflage print all over. 
Celine had their furry version that the likes of Miley Cyrus has been sporting.
Other designers have taken similar approaches to the ugly footwear phenomenon. 
Marni is one to make styles that scream function, not fashion. And let's not forget Prada who has their versions year after year.
With this trend going on since 2012, how much longer do you think it will last? All I know is, no matter how long it lasts, I'll still be sporting my Gizeh version come Summer 2014.







No comments:

Post a Comment